Saturday, December 15, 2007

Back at Blogging

I am back at blogging, although, I am not in Senegal yet.

For those of you who don't know yet, for the next two years, starting March 10, I will be serving in the Peace Corps in Senegal! As you can imagine, I'M EXCITED! I was in limbo this Fall, working at a job I hated, volunteering a lot, and helping to teach children about printmaking. Needless to say, this is not where I imagined myself having just graduated from a four-year, credited university. I was toying with the idea of moving to D.C. to pursue some kind of a career when.....my assignment finally came in the mail!

I ripped it open and discovered that I will be going to one of the safest, economically stable, technologically advanced countries in West Africa. Plus, they speak French! All that being said, remember that the rest of West Africa has had a gruesome past of civil wars, preventable disease, and of course, colonization. Meaning that my experience won't be like living in the suburbs.

I am assigned to a rural primary healthcare program and my given job will be a preventative health educator. From my understanding, volunteers hardly ever do what they are assigned to do on the pamphlet they send, so I don't really know what I will be doing. I do know that the first few months of training will be in Thiès, the third largest city in Senegal just a few km off the coast. I will keep updating as my departure date grows closer.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I like your blog title, because I like Manu Chao!