Yesterday started off like any other normal day. I was sweating by 7:15 AM and my room was too stifling to stay in for long periods of time. After getting water from the communal faucet (and carrying it back to my room on my head!), I went to the village’s garden, which I discovered earlier this week. Some women and I had planted some trees, and I went back to weed around them and see if they were still alive. For the most part they were!
When I walked back, I was told the health hut was having a baby weighing today. So, I went with one of the mothers in my compound. Luckily, her baby, Demba, gained weight! I sat at the health hut for a while talking with the relais, when one of the them happened to mention that they were recently given 19 bags of corn flour to distribute to women with underweight babies. However, they weren’t going to demonstrate how to make the porridge, so I offered to host a meeting demonstrating how to make a nutrition-packed, baby-friendly porridge.
By 12 PM, it was stifling hot because the wind had stopped. I went back to my room, cooked some lunch, and then went out to sit with some of the women in my compound. On the horizon, it looked like it was going to rain, which I was excited about. When the dark clouds were overhead a strong, COLD wind picked up. There was a brief dust storm, but no rain ensued as normal. It remained cold the rest of the day and throughout the night. Cold enough to put a fleece on—seriously. This may seem silly to some, but after spending my summer dealing with 120 degree heat, it almost became unimaginable it would get cold here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment