Monday, November 10, 2008

Mish Mash

Yesterday, I noticed my host mother was wearing a brand new boubou. Two champagne flutes and a big bottle of champagne were patterned all over it in between small blue dots, which I found humorous because she is a devout Muslim. In fact, one of her two rules when I first arrived in my village was no alcohol.

Obamarama reached my small village in Northern Senegal last week with his win. I was hosting two study abroad students and had my dad call me at 4 AM to tell me the good news. I felt like my heart was going to burst with pride and excitement that my next President will be a young, intelligent, charismatic, no-nonsense man. Everyone has been congratulating me on his success. I am not that naïve to think that the country will change at the hands of one man. But, I do believe that he is a powerful symbol of change and an agent of change that is willing to listen. We, the average Americans, are the ones that can change this country and I think I’m doing a pretty good job re-establishing America’s good name here in Senegal.

Recently, I also hosted two CIEE study abroad students, which was great! They really made me fall in love with my village again. They also noticed how much I was respected in my village and how I was treated like a family member. It was also great for me because they couldn't speak any Pulaar, so it made my skills look like I was a native speaker! The two girls, I think, enjoyed their stay and when I go to Dakar in December they said they will take me out to ice cream! A win-win situation.

Now for the big news! I HAVE A CAMERA!!!!!!! Thanks to my wonderful, creative parents I now have a camera that was sent to me in a tampon box so as not to illicit attention. I will be updating my picture link (in the left hand margin) at the end of the month or as soon as I have enough time to sit down and upload my pictures! GET READY!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yay camera! Yay Barack Obama!