Well, yeah.
I was at my favorite family's house the other day and I started talking to Faty Soyil, the 15 year old about what she wanted to be when she grows up. She applied for the girls' scholarship this year and I was really hoping that she would get it because I really like both her and her family and she needs the money to stay in school.
But, to my dismay, she told me she didn't want to go to university because it was too hard. I was so shocked and disappointed. She said she just wanted to get a job. I explained that you have to go to school to get a good job. I even told her about the possibility of going to university in America or Europe. I really hope that when I leave, I will have impressed upon her the importance of continuing her education.
The other week, I was talking with someone else in my village and they were astounded I went to and graduated from college. I guess they still associate college with being male? You can possibly get a job without going to university, but you get a better one by going. I guess I should introduce myself and immediately say, "I went to college, too."
Hawa, the only female teacher in Goudoude, said that she only went to a few years of university before she dropped out to become a teacher! I couldn't believe it. I think there is a test you can take to become qualified for teaching in Senegal. It never crossed my mind that some of the teachers may not have gone to university.
In sillier news, I just found out the Pulaars have a vampire-like folklore! They are called mbih's. I asked a teenager if there were any in his village and he shook his head vigorously back and forth. He did, however, say that for 10 mille, the equivalent of $20, he would go kill one and bring it back for me to see. I decided that probably wasn't the best idea. I can just imagine him coming back with some innocent kid....but I will find out more about the story and report back!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Twenty dollars to the man who brings me a live mbih!
This reminds me of my friend's experience in Haiti, where they have zombies. She and the family she is staying with (who are American missionaries) actually found and helped a "zombie"--he turned out to be a young man with cerebral palsy. They brought him to a local hospital/shelter who recognized him (knew his name and family) and were able to go from there.
Post a Comment