Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Home Stretch

Who ever thought I would write that as a title!?! Home Stretch!?

I have 5 weeks left in my village, thank god. Yesterday, my trusty thermometer said it was 108 degrees outside and 100 degrees inside. Not to mention the wind that feels like God left his oven door open....It got hotter earlier this year.

So, with much chagrin, I have to ask all my friends and family to stop sending me letters and packages because they might not get to me in time. This is very hard for me to do, because I live for mail! But, I will be seeing all of your lovely faces SO soon!

I recently went to Dakar for our close of service (COS) conference and it left with a sad, empty feeling. All the people I came with to Senegal are leaving (some are staying!). I'm leaving all my friends that I've made here, both Senegalese and American. I feel established in this desert that is often compared to Hell. When I think about how much time I have left, I often am so excited to move on to the next thing in my life I can't bear to wait the 5 weeks. Other times, I have panic attacks that I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm leaving all this familiarity for changes and the unknown. But, I do know America! Right? Maybe America or the idea of "America" has morphed into something I think it should be and I will be disappointed when I get back....let's not think about that just yet.

P.S. May 8th, 2010 around 7 PM I will be in MPLS!!!!

1 comment:

kyle. said...

MARISA I LOVE YOU AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU! i know you're going to finish strong, and these 5 weeks will be over before you know it.

xoxo,

kyle.