I have arrived in Thiès! Pronounced “chess.” My Wolof is improving. Marisa laa tudd. Can you guess what that means? Mangi fi rekk. Peace is with me. That was exciting to learn and then to actually use it in the market today. Although it was a little slow, I managed to make friends with a taxi driver who will now help me out if I am ever lost. That’s one of the main things they have been telling us: Make as many friends as possible. That way, if I am ever in trouble or need something, they can help me out!
My computer is gathering dust as I’m writing, so I will only say a few more interesting things. We eat from a communal bowl for lunch. Usually about 4 to 5 people will share. We keep to our section of the bowl. Yesterday, we learned eating etiquette. Now, I know not to reach across the bowl, how to sit at the bowl, etc. We also learned the curative powers of some of the roots and plants in Senegal! I thought that was cool.
I will hopefully be updating more later about my host family when I get there, the food, and just daily life. I am also hoping to post some pictures.
Ba suba!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Salaamaaleekum
Glad to hear you arrived! Yes, Thies is very very dusty. Well, to be honest, the whole country is very very dusty. You just have to wait for the rains in July! Hope things are going well so far with your host family and you aren't feeling to trapped in your mosquito net!
Hi Ris!
I'm glad you're safely arrived and hope your first days and weeks go smoothly. I'm thinking about you!
~B
P.S. we have almost exactly the same hair now!
Salut Marisa
on suit ton aventure à travers ton blog
çe doit être passionnant de vivre là bas et tu dois avoir bien plus chaud que quand tu étais avec nous en Suisse, nous pensons souvent à toi et à bientôt
Jacquotte et Marco
PS:Coralie et Gwennael sont aussi en période d'examen et ne sont pas souvent ici
Post a Comment