Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Charet Wounds

A week ago, when taking the good ole’ charet ride home, I got into an accident. It had just rained so the terrain had gotten wet and re-solidified to a more rocky, bumpy topography. The charet drivers couldn’t have been a day over 12. Also, instead of a horse charet, it was a three-donkey charet. Those were the circumstances.

As we were racing along, unnecessarily fast, we hit a bump and I went flying/leaping off the back of the charet. I fell face first into the dirt. Thankfully, I didn’t fly into a thorn bush or one of the many little lakes that had formed. Nonetheless, I felt like an idiot. The mangoes Ashley and I had bought also fell onto me to make it that much more exciting.

I just lay there for a minute laughing and thinking, “I am in Africa. This stuff happens.” At first, I didn’t think I was hurt. I didn’t appear to be bleeding and no appendage seemed to be broken. So, I got back on and rode home into the sunset.

The next day, was a different story. My left knee was throbbing in pain every time I walked, sat down, bent, or extended my leg. In the Senegalese culture, you do a lot of sitting down on the ground and if you are a woman that means with your legs together in an uncomfortable position due to the skirt/pagne you wear. Rest assured Mom and Dad, I am fine now. It was just bruised badly.

I learned my lesson. From now on, Ashley and I will be biking the 8 km to the roadside village and only taking a charet when necessary

2 comments:

sheena said...

wow your experience is so much more... rustic than ours! In a way I'm jealous, but on the other hand I'm pretty comfortable with my life here! Sounds like things are going well for you. Good luck learning Pulaar...

KStones said...

man travelling is so dangerous here! we should just stay in our huts and not move i guess. except that i'm SO excited to see you this week!