The other week my official counterpart, Saidou Kane, came to town, unannounced of course, to do vaccinations. It seemed like some of the women in the village knew that he was coming before I did, so I guess that is good. It has been problem in the past—he just shows up vaccinating whoever happens to stroll by the disponsaire. I think I will see if he can tell me beforehand so I can go around the village and inform more people that he is coming.
Nonetheless, we vaccinated 23 kids under the age of 7 months. Most of the vaccinations were shots for Rubella, Measels, and Mumps, however, there were a few babies vaccinated for Polio, which is administered orally. That was the easiest vaccination to give. Most of the babies cried when the shots were administered, but some were just squirmish for a minute, then realized that it was over.
Overall, it was a fun afternoon because I got to play with all the babies of the village. Babies are less afraid of me than toddlers who realize that I am different. To a baby, I’m just someone who wants to give them attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment