Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Clapping for Crystal Light

Last week, I decided to visit some of the houses around my quartier. I went to undoubtably, the poorest family's house on the outskirts of Goudoude. I brought along a Raspberry Lemonade Crystal Light packet to share with the billion kids this family has.

They were ecstatic that I came bearing American goods. They had me make it and of course I had to add sugar to it...All the kids took turns sipping from the ladle. It's amazing how well children here share things without protest when forced to.

One of the five mothers, Houley Ka, came out and was so excited that I had come to visit her and her family AND that I had brought them something. She cried, "Let's clap for Fati Ka! Let's clap, kids!" (Fati Ka is my name in the village.) So, about 15 kids started to fervently clap their hands together and giggle.

By far and away one of the best moments I have ever spent in this country. I felt appreciated, but more importantly I felt like I had become a respected member of the community. A smile spreads across my face just thinking about it. I'm beginning to see why volunteers extend their stay for another year. (DON'T worry, I'm not going to stay here for another year). Everything has been memorable here, but things just began to be consistently enjoyable.

No comments: